Saturday, March 12, 2011

Friday 11th March Earthquake

It was 2:46pm and we were in the classroom when the earthquake started. My young students responded perfectly and were quickly under the tables and the room shock. Luckily nothing in the classroom fell off the shelving or the wall, our room is on the ground floor. It seemed to last for a couple of minutes. During that time we followed the procedures, stayed calm and supported each other. When the instructions came that the earthquake had stopped we all sat together and held hands and began to talk about the experience.
Families then started arriving and it was 3pm and the end of the school day. As the aftershocks began we formed a group and stayed in the middle of the playground away from the buildings. After some time we moved to the library which became the central hub for the remaining ES students.

Many teachers and I stayed at school for an extra 6 hours whilst we attempted to get each
child home safely or in the care of their parents. At 9pm the decision was made
that some children would go home with teachers, their parents stuck in
the city.
No Trains, highways closed, no phones. Must say my young students were
fantastic as we all got under the tables, then evacuated to the
playground and felt more aftershocks. I was so proud of them. The
footage I see now of the tsumanis is so shocking and most fatalities
will come from the tsunami and not from the earthquake itself. It brings
back too many memories.

I'm at home now, with internet and electricity.
The streets were almost deserted as I walked home. Sirens in all
directions. Really eerie.
The major road full of traffic at a complete standstill for the 15 mins
I walked along it.
Lots of smashed glass at the shops.
Stopped off at a couple of small supermarkets on the way home and there
is almost no food left on the shelves, all fresh food gone, all torches
and batteries sold out.
Luckily I got something to drink!!!
My apartment is good, nothing smashed, just stuff moved around, draws
all open, even my wine glass balanced on the edge of the sink waiting
for me.
We just had a nasty aftershock that sent my hanging ceiling lights
swaying and my chair moving.
It feels like there is almost no one in my apartment complex tonight,
not many lights on, lifts not working and the bike rack is almost empty
- I guess most people are stuck in the city.
I'm lucky, safely at home. However I have got a few items right beside
the bed, shoes, gloves, coat, torch - hoping I won't need them during
the night.
could do with a big hug

No comments:

Post a Comment