Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 11 Tuesday 22nd June 2010 - Furano










Yahoo glorious day of cycling.
On the road by 6.30am in anticipation of the big day ahead. A few vending machines in the first 20-30km but then seriously no shops for the next 65km. I had plenty of rations so it was no problem.
Really glorious cycling - one of my favourite days on the bike. Stunning forests, rivers, gradual gradients, legs strong, smooth road, mountains, fresh air - this is why I'm here - it's so good.
Lots of signs 'Beware of Bears' I kept ringing my bell (a gift from my students) just to be sure.
Around Kashima, Shimizasawa previously a coal mining area soon to be underwater when the Yabari Shuparo Dam is completed in 2013. After Katsurazawa Lake onto Route 452 for 25km then Route 135 which met up with Route 38 for the last 5km to Furano.
What a fabulous day on the bike, almost no cars and stunning scenery.
Surprisingly in Furano by 1pm for an afternoon of ice cream and stories with Chris, a Swiss guy I meet.
Furano is beautiful, sunshine, music playing, snow capped mountains just like a European Ski village.
Late afternoon Chris goes on the train and I cycle 15km south of Furano to the Yamabe Camp Ground - by a river. Lovely evening light, mountains, wild flowers, snow views. A fantastic day. Life is good.
Today 118km cycled. Total cycled 730km

No comments:

Post a Comment