Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 18 Tuesday 29th June Lake Kutcharoko

Up early, tent hot, the sea breeze is keeping away an insects so that's sweet. Have decided to have a rest day here but then the grass cutters come with their noisy ride on cutters so I pack up and head off. Bid farewell to my friends and they give me more gifts - scarf, lavender pouch and food. Thank you.
I cycle north meandering along the coast. I arrive at Hamatonbetsu, stock up on food and cycle out to Lake Kutcharoko. Discover a wetlands museum, english signs and stuffed birds and the brown bear.This lake is important because 20,000 Bewick's Swans flock here whilst migrating in Spring and Autumn. The lake has a mean depth of 1.5 meters so it's really shallow and full of swan food. Spent evening with Japanese man and his wife. He had toured Australia on a motorbike for 3 months and showed me his album.







No comments:

Post a Comment