Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 15 Saturday 26th June














Awake early, by 5:15am the tent is to hot to stay inside any longer!!!
Clean up the bike chain and load up ready for today's journey. Locate road 72, a quiet back road heading north through scenic farming countryside. Reach Horokanai and leave on route 275, few cows and crops of buckwheat that is used to make soba noodles. Following the Uryungawa River which originates from the largest artificial lake in Japan, Lake Syumarinai. Find the old 1940 Shinmei Railway where 204 people died during construction. 30 C - cloudless day - glorious. I decide to camp at Lake Syumarinai. The one major joy of solo cycling- do what I want when I want. There's no one telling me I'm going to slow either up hill or down hill. I decide when to eat, where to camp and what time to do it all. Loving the freedom. As I walk around and explore the lake I see this amazing group of photographers (lens' bigger than I've seen at the Aust Open Tennis). They are sitting quietly, ready to click, apparently at 5pm the extremely rare Black Wood Pecker will come out of it's home in the tree. Oh my ...it did!!!
At 7:45pm the moon was absolutely stunning as it rose over and reflected into the still lake. Glorious evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment