Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 9 Sunday 20th June - Kitahiroshima





On the road around 8am on Route 5 heading for Sapporo - pop 1.85 million, 5th largest city in Japan.
This is the capital city of Hokkaido. Good run into the city on bike paths and roads with a wide shoulder and it's Sunday so the traffic is light. Tourist info centre at the JR train station gives me maps, head off in search of Route 12. My goal is to find the Shiroishi cycle path that leads north out of Sapporo. A wonderful lady helped me and then I zoom along the tree covered path escaping the city with ease. The path goes for 21km to Kitahiroshima JR station.
Just wondering how to find Perfecture Road 3 when a man with 2 young children chat with me and offer advice. Then whilst I am at the convenience store deciding on what to eat the man and children return and invite me to sleep at their house for the night.
Really??? Awesome. A delightful evening with Taka, Yuki, Haru (6 years) and Mina (3 years). Sharing stories, playing UNO and snakes and ladders. A lovely dinner - salmon steaks, prawns, tofu with ginger, miso soup and rice. To this amazing family I thank you for the wonderful experience and your amazing kindness. A real highlight of my journey. We are in email contact and they have invited me to return to go skiing with them in the winter -wow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment